1. Kevin White Owner, Kevin White Winery
The Microsoft engineer burst onto the Washington wine scene in 2010 with top-quality wines that punch way over their weight class.
2. Chris Peterson Winemaker and Partner, Avennia
In the constellation of young winemakers in the state, few stars shine brighter than Peterson, who parlayed two cool vintages in 2010 and 2011 into some of the state’s most spectacular wines.
3. Kendall Mix Winemaker, Lawrelin
Who in the U.S. ages wines for over 10 years prior to release? Kendall Mix, that’s who (and the wines are well worth the wait).
4. Ben Smith Owner and Winemaker, Cadence
His wines go against Washington’s grain: They’re built around acid and tannin structure rather than big, bold fruit and a cudgeling of oak.
5. Kerry Shiels Winemaker, Côte Bonneville
A grad of UC Davis’s famed wine program, she shows a skilled touch on everything from chardonnay to syrah using fruit from the winery’s iconic DuBrul Vineyard.
6. Chris Upchurch Winemaker, DeLille Cellars
The longtime wine-maker at one of the first Woodinville wineries is still going strong, crafting some of the state’s finest and most ageworthy wines.
7. Casey McClellan Founder and Winemaker, Seven Hills Winery
McClellan has been making wines for so long and has such a humble nature that he can get lost in Washington’s chattering crowd of new winemakers. But his wines always rise to the top.