1. Mayor Mike McGinn's martyr complex theme that he's being persecuted by the evil Seattle establishment is getting pretty dull. However, in response to the latest news that a stunning majority of the Seattle City Council has actually taken sides in the mayor's race—in this instance formally supporting McGinn's rival, state Sen. Ed Murray (D-43, Capitol Hill), McGinn's spokesman Aaron Pickus posted a hilarious version of the McGinn spin on his Facebook page last night.

Pickus quipped:

Now we know what all that white smoke was about billowing from Council Chambers. They've picked a new mayor.

The council typically remains mum in the mayor's race and reportedly hasn't weighed in like this since the 1970s.

2. The conundrum that's plaguing the Republicans was on display last night in Everett, where the GOP-controlled state senate held the second meeting of their transportation committee listening tour; on Tuesday night they were in Bellevue where the crowd overwhelmingly supported the pending transportation funding package (Metro service—facing a potential $75 million, 600,000 service hour cut—depends on it).

The 150 people that showed up in Everett last night—including business and Boeing reps—largely supported the package too (a ten-and-a-half cent gas tax, $10 billion proposal). But some anti-tax voices, including initiative hawker Tim Eyman, were also on hand.

And that's the perfect snapshot of the modern GOP dilemma: The business wing of the party vs. the anti-tax purists. What's a Republican legislator to do?!

Eyman, however, apparently doesn't believe the business faction speaks for the people. He told the committee: "Normal human beings are not in the crowd tonight."

This, from the guy who once showed up in Olympia wearing a Darth Vader suit.

3. One detail in the crosstabs from this week's KING 5 mayor's race poll we forgot to note: 25 percent of African American voters are undecided. This is noteworthy because conventional wisdom has been that black voters are solidly in McGinn's camp. Of the remaining 75 percent, McGinn has a slight lead—40 to 36 (we know that doesn't add up, but that's what the poll says).

African Americans are a small voting bloc, only about 6 percent, but the numbers present another question mark for McGinn and another opportunity for Murray, who's also been endorsed by Council Member Bruce Harrell, the only African American council member, who lost his own bid in the mayoral primary but did well with black voters.

Another surprise: Murray was beating McGinn among the cell phone users polled by KING 5: 33 to 27.

 

Show Comments