1. Facing a $9 billion shortfall for the next biennium, the state Senate is unveiling its operating budget today at 10:30 am. The House will unveil its version on Tuesday.
2. Meanwhile, the House is unveiling its transportation budget today, at Noon. Morning Fizz hears it will look like the controversial Senate transportation budget introduced last week—meaning, transit projects, like light rail, will take the hit.
3. This week is your last chance to see the Seattle Shakespeare Company's production of The Merchant of Venice: Thursday night at 7:30; Friday night at 7:30; Saturday night at 7:30 and 10:30; and Sunday at 5:00. I'd say Kelly Kitchens (playing Portia's sidekick maid, Nerissa) steals the show with her slatternly humor, but it's Charles Leggett, as Shylock, who isn't to be missed.
4. The whole time we were reporting on the stimulus package, we couldn't believe there weren't more "stimulus package" jokes popping up. Finally. Trojan's on it:
5. Want the early word on Morning Fizz? Subscribe to PubliCola's new Twitter Feed.