It's the ultimate secret to surviving rainy Seattle winters: We simply close our eyes and picture what happens to all that precipitation in the mountains. Now that snow has returned (after a year with barely any), here's how to get the most out of winter travel:
• There's ice on the mountain passes, and "chains required" doesn't mean quite what you think.
• Winter weather rates an overnight in a lodge with a giant fireplace, hot swimming pool, or river view, down comforter optional.
• The truly bold skip the amenities and build a snow cave for epic winter camping.
• Even hippie environmentalists can get hooked on snowmobiling (really).
• Snowshoeing is no harder than hiking, and the route to Lanham Lake is a relatively easy first outing. Don't forget the hot chocolate.