Is this summer kidding? Forget Seattle's sometimes-fickle Julys, this one's a corker. There are beaches in, say, California or Hawaii...but what about something within driving distance? Here's our six favorite stretches of sand (or rock):
• Second Beach in Vancouver. Inside the excellent Stanley Park, and with a large heated outdoor pool.
• Alki Beach in Seattle. Close to downtown, on the bus system, and featuring a mini Statue of Liberty. U! S! A!
• Ebey's Landing on Whidbey Island. It's a bluff-top hike, then a quiet beach full of Northwest driftwood.
• Gene Coulon Memorial Beach Park in Renton. If you have kids, plop them into Lake Washington and take a detour to Bird Island.
• Long Beach near Willapa Bay. Marinas and markets, boardwalks and a beach you can drive on.
What's your favorite Washington beach?