More Weekend Mayhem

By Jonah Spangenthal-Lee August 16, 2010

Here's some more info about weekend mayhem, courtesy of the SPD Blotter:

Brawl on Blanchard:

On August 14th at approximately 7:45 p.m. officers responded to the area of 1st Avenue and Yesler Way for the report of an armed robbery.  Preliminary investigation indicates that an adult male suspect entered a restaurant in the 100 block of Cherry Street and asked for a table for three.  The suspect then asked if he could use the bathroom while he waited for the table.  An employee saw the suspect with the employee’s tip jar and grabbed the suspect by the sleeve.  The suspect pulled out a yellow box-cutter and waved it at the victim.  The victim immediately let go of the suspect and he ran out the door with the box-cutter and the tip jar in his hands. 

Responding officers conducted an extensive area search, but were unable to locate the suspect.  Fortunately, no one was injured during the incident.

Armed robbery in Pioneer Square:

On August 14th at approximately 10:09 p.m. officers responded to a fight disturbance in the 200 block of Blanchard Street.  When bicycle officers arrived on scene the combatants were still fighting.  The officers identified themselves and ordered the combatants to the ground.  One suspect complied, but the other fled on foot northbound in the alley.

Officers responding southbound in the alley from Bell Street intercepted the suspect and ordered him to stop, but he did not comply.  As he continued to flee on foot one of the officers tried to grab him but the suspect, who was not wearing a shirt, was sweaty and slipped from the officer’s grasp. Officers continued the chase.

As the suspect approached another officer she reached out to grab him.  The suspect, in his effort to escape, shoved the female officer aside and into a brick wall.  He then turned a corner and ran into a fence, at which point he gave up and surrendered.  The suspect was taken into custody without further incident.

The female officer who was assaulted by the suspect was not injured.

Further investigation revealed that the fight began when the suspect (the one who ran from and assaulted officers) approached the other subject (the one who complied with officers) and punched him for no apparent reason.

The 21-year-old male suspect was booked into the King County Jail for two counts of Assault.

Filed under
Show Comments