- Mariners closer Edwin Diaz was only seven years old. Being a weak child, his fastball only topped out at 94 miles per hour back then.
- Gary Payton still ruled the hardwood for the Seattle SuperSonics. (Too much sadness to make a joke here.)
- Winning Internet arguments was becoming easier, as Wikipedia had launched early in the year—a blissful time before the age of alternative facts.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone and Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring arrived in movie theaters and massively flopped. Kidding. The films cemented nerd culture as the dominant force in commercial art. (You can double check it on Wikipedia.)
- Barack Obama was an Illinois state senator who was crushed in the previous year’s Democratic congressional primary election by a 2-to-1 margin. Poor guy never recovered.
- Seattle Met was still almost five years away from launching—and somehow already compiling Best Restaurant lists.
Seattle Mariners Home Openers vs. Houston Astros
Apr 10 at 2:10pm, Safeco Field, $40–$600