More hot than haute, and never haughty, Union is the much celebrated solo outing from vaunted chef Ethan Stowell, a guy who could pull flavor out of cardboard. Lucky for us, he’s working with somewhat better raw materials—hamachi carpaccio, Ligurian olive puree, buttery Columbia River sturgeon—which he accoutres with keen intelligence, assembles into rather pretentious presentations, then underprices. (His multicourse prix-fixe tasting menus are a deal.) This balancing act between high toned and down-to-earth infects the ambience, too: It’s a classy midtown haunt, filled with power brokers and symphony mavens, staffed with unpretentious pros.
1400 First Ave
Seattle, WA 98101
- Dinner Mon-Sat 5 p.m.-10 p.m.
Bar Mon-Thu 5pm-7pm and 10pm-11pm; Fri & Sat5pm-7pm and 10pm-midnight
Please Note: Before making plans, please call ahead with the establishment to verify that this information is still accurate.
- OMFG It's the PSL!
- Morning Fizz: "A Culture of Distrust and Brutality"
- Try This Trail: Maple Pass
- 30 Perfect Day Trips
- Afternoon Jolt: Weyerhaeuser Moving HQ to Pioneer Square
- Seattle Summer Outdoor Movie Guide 2014
- The Top Things to Do This Weekend: August 21–September 1
- Morning Fizz: More on the MIA GOP Memo