The Brothers Than get the essentials of hearty Vietnamese soup right: the full choice of beef cuts, from flank and brisket to tripe, and those surprisingly tasty rubbery meatballs; ample basil and bean-sprout garnish; noodles served however you say “al dente” in Vietnamese; prices that beat Mickey D’s; and, most important, the soul-soothing, star-anise-laced broth that is the essence of pho. And the Thans have played three aces: They’ve kept up quality and authenticity even in the North End. They offer a rare, guilt-free vegetarian passport to pho heaven, with straw mushrooms and fried tofu. And they give every soup sipper a free, if oddly timed, appetizer—a miniature cream puff, recalling the long history of culinary crossovers between France and Vietnam. Eight locations within the purview of our geographical reach (and three more outside it) keep the region amply covered.
7714 Aurora Ave N
Seattle, WA 98103
- Daily 10–9
Please Note: Before making plans, please call ahead with the establishment to verify that this information is still accurate.
- OMFG It's the PSL!
- Morning Fizz: "A Culture of Distrust and Brutality"
- Try This Trail: Maple Pass
- 30 Perfect Day Trips
- Afternoon Jolt: Weyerhaeuser Moving HQ to Pioneer Square
- Seattle Summer Outdoor Movie Guide 2014
- The Top Things to Do This Weekend: August 21–September 1
- Morning Fizz: More on the MIA GOP Memo