Vegans come in two flavors: Those who want to avoid any semblance of meat and dairy, and those who want to pretend they’re eating it. Plum Bistro is for the latter. In the lofty, fir-floored Piston and Ring Building, Makini Howell (who gave us the vegan sandwich houses Hillside Quickies) cooks up feisty-flavored renditions of classic comfort foods in her open kitchen: spicy Cajun Mac ‘n’ Yease (pasta with yeast substance), a jerk tofu "burger," Cajun-fried seitan (wheat gluten) "steak" with wild-mushroom gravy. Vegans of the second camp will relish Howell’s bold flavors and plate-filling portions of decidedly nonvegetal textures. And if vegans of the first camp might wish for a greater selection of salads that don’t come topped with things like tempeh bacon—they’ll still like it better than the carnivores, who are likely to leave Plum pondering whether any human in the history of civilization has ever actually liked soy mozzarella.
1429 12th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98122
- Mon–Fri 11–11;Sat & Sun 10–11
Please Note: Before making plans, please call ahead with the establishment to verify that this information is still accurate.
- 25 Drop-Dead Extraordinary Sandwiches
- Judy Travis Is the 21st Century Video Star
- The 30 Seattle Restaurant Experiences You Must Have Before You Die
- Morning Fizz: Teachers are in "Open Revolt"
- The Waterfront Gondola is Really Happening (Probably)
- This Week In Restaurant News: Look, New Projects That Aren't in Pioneer Square!
- 30 Perfect Day Trips
- Cheap Week Seattle: Best Bang-for-Your-Buck Events March 10–16