Why yes, as a matter of fact, those are jalapenos cradling your snow crab legs and eight-spiced tuna. Japonessa may be downtown’s sushi cocina, sexing up Japanese food with Latin inflections (think chili ponzu, think mango shiso glaze), but purists take heart: The chef is the seasoned Billy Beach—Umi alum and onetime Kushibar owner—and the sushi is consistently more substantive and solidly prepared than all the hot noise and scene might suggest. Creations like agedashi tofu and tempura-fried brie, followed by a monstrous $18 Street Fighter II Roll, open the mind and the palate. And the pocketbook—though happy hour seems to roll straight on through the day here.
1400 First Ave
Seattle, WA 98101
- Mon–Thu 11:30am–11pm
Fri & Sat 11:30am–1am
Please Note: Before making plans, please call ahead with the establishment to verify that this information is still accurate.
- The Trouble With Shaken Baby Syndrome
- Downtown's New Elysian Bar Sounds Pretty Damn Great
- Senator Tom Will Not Run for Reelection
- Flour to the People
- This Week in Restaurant News: Expansions, Cocktails, and Fried Chicken
- Morning Fizz: Brawl Averted, Money Not Diverted
- 30 Perfect Day Trips
- A Critic’s Guide to Seattle Restaurant Week 2014