Why yes, as a matter of fact, those are jalapenos cradling your snow crab legs and eight-spiced tuna. Japonessa may be downtown’s sushi cocina, sexing up Japanese food with Latin inflections (think chili ponzu, think mango shiso glaze), but purists take heart: The chef is the seasoned Billy Beach—Umi alum and onetime Kushibar owner—and the sushi is consistently more substantive and solidly prepared than all the hot noise and scene might suggest. Creations like agedashi tofu and tempura-fried brie, followed by a monstrous $18 Street Fighter II Roll, open the mind and the palate. And the pocketbook—though happy hour seems to roll straight on through the day here.
1400 First Ave
Seattle, WA 98101
- Mon–Thu 11:30am–11pm
Fri & Sat 11:30am–1am
Please Note: Before making plans, please call ahead with the establishment to verify that this information is still accurate.
- Best New Bar in Seattle
- The 10 Most Confusing Restaurants in Seattle
- Here's the (Massively Tempting) Dessert Lineup for Sweet Week
- Quality Athletics Opens (Officially) Today in Pioneer Square
- Tuesday Jolt: Mayor Murray Threatens to Veto Restrictive aPodment Legislation
- 30 Perfect Day Trips
- Report: Tunnel Tops List of "Highway Boondoggles"
- Cheap Week Seattle: September 15–21