The 2009 King County Executive race was crowded with a talented, charismatic, qualified cast of characters: King County Council member Dow Constantine; state Sen. Fred Jarrett; state Rep. Ross Hunter; King County Council member Larry Phillips; and former KIRO news anchor Susan Hutchison. (Check out the lively interview we did with them at the Virginia Inn in the runup to that year's primary.)
All of them had big personalities and big ideas. And there were a lot of big male egos too.
The 2013 mayor's race is starting to feel similar; it's an all-star cast of seasoned politicians—along with the male ego thing.
Here's our take on who's who:
• City Council member Tim Burgess is Fred Jarrett.
• Incumbent Mayor Mike McGinn is Ross Hunter.
• Former City Council member Peter Steinbrueck is Larry Phillips.
• City Council member Bruce Harrell is Susan Hutchison (unless Maud Daudon gets in the race!)
• State Sen. Ed Murray is Dow Constantine.
And for those of you who are convinced we're in the bag for Murray (after all, Constantine won), we endorsed Hunter that year.
P.S. Isn't it weird that ... Dow Constantine is up for reelection this year and he hasn't drawn a single opponent? We don't take our Hunter endorsement back or anything, but man, people certainly seem happy about the job Constantine is doing, even Washington State Republican Party Chair Kirby Wilbur, it seems.