Well this is...interesting. Pacific Northwest Ballet patrons got an email this morning about an anniversary celebration planned for September 16. To fete the ballet turning 40 and the 50th anniversary of the Seattle World's Fair (i.e. the birth of the Seattle Center, home to McCaw Hall and all our ballerinas), they're going cosmic with a sci-fi program that includes footage of the Mars rover landing and a guest appearance by NASA's reluctant heartthrob Bobak Ferdowsi, aka Mohawk Guy. The 32-year-old UW grad became an Internet meme after video of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory control room went viral; apparently people were expecting this inside NASA instead?
Tickets for the anniversary performance, September 16 at 6, are on sale now starting at $25. Here's what's happening, as of today:
- PNB Orchestra performances including themes from Back to the Future, Star Trek, and Lost in Space
- Apollo pas de deux and Circus Polka starring artistic director Peter Boal as the Ringmaster
- Astronaut Cady Coleman
- NASA’s Mars Curiosity landing film
- Star Trek’s Nichelle Nichols, introduced by June Lockhart of Lost in Space
- Curiosity Mars rover flight director Bobak Ferdowsi (aka “Mohawk Guy”)
- Video histories of PNB and the building of the Seattle World’s Fair
- Angry Birds at the Seattle Center
- Post-performance panel discussion with guests from the worlds of science and art.