This is your brain…on text messages, tweets, Facebook, email, and pop-up ads. Artist Mark Schoening captures the self-described “information explosion” we endure daily with boldly painted canvases that are Louder than Bombs on display at Platform Gallery in a dual show with Marie Koetje. Thru July 28, Platform Gallery, platformgallery.com
• • •
Amount raised at each of the last Little Big Shows, a new concert series that donates all proceeds to local arts nonprofits. Next up: Dum Dum Girls and Craft Spells rock out for the National Film Festival for Talented Youth. July 28, Neptune Theatre, stgpresents.org
• • •
Block Party: Broadcast Live!
Now that Neumos co-owner and talent booker Jason Lajeunesse is the sole producer of Capitol Hill Block Party, there are some changes afoot. New to this year’s three-day music festival:
1. Visual artist Chase Jarvis will live stream select shows on his website for free; it’s the “Festival Is Too Expensive So I’m Going to Watch It at Home” broadcast.
2. CHBP teams with SIFF to launch a video-art contest.
3. Sunday morning is Free Family Fun day: ice cream, lemonade, and a Caspar Babypants set.
4. Decibel Festival curates an after-hours dance party at Neumos on Friday until 3am.
5. KEXP broadcasts live from Barboza on Saturday and Sunday.
July 20–22, Capitol Hill, capitolhillblockparty.com
Books & Talks
Who said it best?
“Winter is coming.”
—George R. R. Martin,
A Game of Thrones
“Just for the record, the weather today is partly suspicious with chances of betrayal.” —Chuck Palahniuk, Diary
No modern authors are more quotable than Game of Thrones scribe George R. R. Martin and Fight Club’s Chuck Palahniuk. It’s a war of words this month with two readings at Town Hall. George R. R. Martin, July 3; Chuck Palahniuk, July 24, Town Hall, townhallseattle.org
Batman’s Last Stand
Christopher Nolan’s third and final Batman movie, The Dark Knight Rises, opens nationwide July 20.
Something of Pinterest
ACT Theatre celebrates the canon of Harold Pinter with a four-play festival.
1. Pinter’s finale
2. Odd man out, or just like…
3. “Light the kettle” or “put on the kettle”?
4. Stuck in limbo