Peter Steinbrueck supporter Vlad Oustimovitch points out an interesting (telling?) stat about where the mayoral candidates' contributions are coming from: Three of the four leading contenders—Bruce Harrell, incumbent Mike McGinn, and state Sen. Ed Murray (D-43) have gotten nearly a third (or, in Harrell's case, nearly half) of their money from outside Seattle.
In contrast, Steinbrueck has received just 15 percent of his money from out of town (the remaining 85 percent comes from a broad swath of Seattle neighborhoods). That's half of McGinn's 29 percent out-of-town figure; half of Murray's 30 percent from out of town; and a third of Harrell's 45 percent from out of town. And McGinn's out-of-town figure doesn't count the $50,000 raised from NYC-based UNITE Here, which represents hotel workers, for a pro-McGinn independent expenditure.
Granted, Steinbrueck, with $173,000 total (the chart above reflects old data) has raised less than the other major candidates (maybe because out-of-towners aren't lining up to support him), but the hometown support for the Seattle native seems worth noting—particularly since Harrell, who grew up in the Central District, was Franklin H.S. valedictorian, and helped win the Rose Bowl for the Huskies, is running as the hometown candidate.