I just heard some details about the Republican budget that'll be released at noon.
Here are some highlights:
1) They'll put $1 billion in new money toward K-12 funding.
2) They'll cut about $90 million from social services—from the Housing and Essential Needs program and the Aged, Blind, and Disabled program.
3) They'll put $100 million extra toward higher-education funding.
4) They will not take a swipe at state worker contracts.
5) Cities, including Seattle, will take a hit because the state will hold on to liquor tax profits it previously shared with cities; currently, the city gets about $7 million a year from liquor profit-sharing.
6) They take full advantage of Obamacare Medicaid money—booking about $300 million.
I will provide more details about how they get to $1 billion in K-12 funding after they release their full plan at noon. Inslee has proposed adding $1.2 billion to K-12 without making cuts; he would close $565 million in tax breaks and extend beer and B&O taxes.