Happy hour bar crawls are an economically efficient—not to mention delightful—way to get to know the neighborhood bar offerings.
Let’s start with South Lake Union.
1. Don’t be put off by a small happy hour menu at a good restaurant. Often what such an HH menu lacks in selection is made up for in quality.
Such is the situation at Re:public, where four small plates (pork cheek, albacore tuna, crispy pig tail, and blood orange salad) are $4 during HH, and Kusshi oysters for $2 each. Select wines are $5, well drinks are $4, and pints of Manny’s, Boundary Bay IPA, and Roslyn Dark Lager are $3.50.
Happy hour at Re:public happens from 4 to 6pm daily.
2. At nearby Flying Fish, small plates—crispy calamari, steamed clams, tuna poke—are $6 during happy hour, which runs from 4 to 7pm every day in the bar and lounge. There is also an oyster happy hour from 4 to 6pm at the bar counter only—oysters on the half shell are 50 cents each.
3. Tutta Bella has an HH at its location in the Pan Pacific shopping mall at the corner of Denny and Westlake. This takes place weekdays from 3 to 6pm and features $2 discounts on wine and beer and $3 discounts on specialty cocktails. Snacks are $2, appetizers are $4, and a full margarita pizza is $6. Here’s the menu.
4. At John Howie’s Seastar Restaurant and Raw Bar, happy hour is weeknights from 4 to 6pm. Martinis and Manhattans are $5, beers are $3.50, and house wines are $3 a glass. The food menu includes calamari poppers—squid stuffed with spicy ahi tuna then fried—for $7.5, and Kobi beef sliders for $5.
5. Paddy Coyne’s is a set of three Irish pubs run by a real guy who is really named Paddy Coyne. You can partake of HH at the convivial SLU location every evening from 4 to 6pm and again from 10pm-midnight. $3 drink specials include domestic beers and well cocktails. Food specials range in price from $2.95 (potato skins, just like in the old country) and $6.50 (a cheeseburger and fries). Irish stew is $4.95.
6. Feierabend is a nostalgically appointed German beer and sausage house with long wooden tables; it’s tucked anachronistically into the retail level of a modern condo building. Happy hour is 3 to 6 daily. Just $1 is taken off a featured draft but there are discounts on appetizers—don’t miss the fries.
7. The place to end any SLU bar crawl is Victory Lounge (433 Eastlake Avenue E), a no nonsense beer bar with themed food nights (hot dogs on Mondays, tacos on Tuesdays, chicken wings on Wednesdays). Happy hour runs daily from 4 to 7pm and from 11pm to 1am and is not complicated—it’s $1 off beers and well cocktails.